CherryBot (mutated jirc bot)
I think the best I can say about Cherrybot is that I wrote it with little time in my hands (I was playing around, as you do when you have more important deadlines).
However, there are some fun points to my additions to the original jirc bot, apart from the fact that the original failed to work with ircnet ircd (server) and this one does. Here are the new fun points:
NB. This software requires Lynx, sysvbanner and fortune to be in the current $PATH to work correctly. Otherwise, it really will barf at you (big time).
- Answers when you say hello to it; very courteous that way.
- Fortune! It has an interface to the popular UNIX fortune cookie program so that it can come out with small pithy comments on command
- Sysvbanner: /msg Cherrybot SAY foo, and it will execute sysvbanner and output the results
- XML interface to Freshmeat, Slashdot, and BBC world/Tech news, updating each half hour to bring you the newest headlines on command
- Also evolving a calculating function (as we speak)
Em Tonkin: firstname.lastname@example.org